So much for super-productivity yesterday! I spent most of Friday and Saturday hunched over my computer, my sewing machine, the ironing board, a table full of pattern envelopes to stuff… and by Sunday afternoon my neck was seriously sore. Blogging and sewing can be hazardous to your health!
I like to think I’m some sort of superwoman and can keep going at full speed, seven days a week. Eventually, your body tells you it’s time to take a break! On that note, it’s important to make your workspace comfortable, whether it’s your sewing station or your computer station or even the table you stand at to stuff pattern envelopes. It’s not just for your own enjoyment, but for your health. I’ve been standing to work at my computer, standing to stuff patterns and it’s taken quite a toll on my neck. So, if you’re reading this post in an uncomfortable or strained position – get comfortable!
Speaking of necks, I did manage to fix the neckline on Mr Sewaholic’s shirt though!
If you remember from last update, here’s what it looked like:
Here’s what I did to fix it. The fitting changes are still not done, but we’re much closer!
First, I seam-ripped the collar from the shirt muslin. This way I could see where the neckline would actually fall on the body. (I could see where the neckline seam was, because I machine-stitched all of my seamlines when I made the muslin. This is where that comes in handy!)
Then, we put the muslin back on Mr Sewaholic. Once the collar was off, the fit issues of the neckline were more obvious! We could see that the neck was riding up at the centre back, not the front.
We’re looking at the shirt in the mirror so we can see all angles.
Next, I took a marking pen and drew in the new neckline, based on where the muslin started to bunch around his neck.
After that, we took off the muslin, and I stitched in the newly-marked neck seamline (quickly, before the marker faded!)
Then I clipped the seam allowance to the new neckline, so that it would lie properly around his neck.
And then we tried it on again!
Now you can see the yoke lies flat across the back of his shoulders, and the neckline fits around his neck without bunching. Much better!
The next steps are to figure out how much to add to the collar and collar stand, so that it fits the new neckline. We’ll measure our old neckline, then measure the new neckline, and add the difference to the collar pattern pieces. (More on this tomorrow!)
I’m still not convinced this will be perfect, and I really want his shirt to be just right! So I will likely make up a second muslin of just the neck and shoulder area, to make sure our pattern alterations are correct.
More shirt updates to come this week!
PS. There were some problems with blog post updates by email, over the last couple of days none of the update emails went out. Everything should be working properly now, thanks Maureen for letting me know!