Let’s continue chatting about fabric suggestions for the Vancouver Collection! In Part I, we discussed fabric selection for the Pacific Leggings and Dunbar Top. Today I’m covering the Cypress Cape and Seymour Jacket. I had so much fun looking for fabrics for these. There really are some cool options online, so I’m excited to share what I found with you.
The Cypress Cape calls for lightweight woven fabrics such as ripstop nylon and rainwear fabrics. Ripstop is that nylon fabric with a subtle grid in the weave, often used for windbreakers or sports jackets. Rainwear fabric is a looser term, it can be more “fashion” or “utilitarian” depending what you’d like and what you can find. If you’re feeling adventurous, I think this cape would be wonderful out of a plaid coating, or even a hefty cotton twill.
Fabric Suggestions for the Cypress Cape
- Black Italian Designer Raincoat Satin from Gorgeous Fabrics
- Silk Blend Water Repellent Metallic Jacquard from B&J Fabrics
- Turquoise Nylon Ripstop from Michael Levine
- Olive Italian Double Faced Cotton from Mood
- Taupe Two-Tone Water Resistant Cotton Blend from Britex
- Dark Indigo Blue Rainwear Cotton/Nylon from Harts
- Cream/Black Plaid Coating from Michael Levine
- Burgundy Nylon Ripstop from Fabric.com
- Tartan Plaid Wool Coating from Mood
The Seymour Jacket opens up even more doors for fabric options! The design lends itself really well to fun bright colours and interesting prints.We recommend light to medium weight woven fabrics such as ripstop nylon, rainwear fabrics, cotton and cotton nylon blends. You could use any of the rainwear fabrics suggested above for the Cypress Cape, but I also put together some extra picks below!
Fabric Suggestions for the Seymour Jacket
- Cream Plaid Rainwear Polyester from Fashion Fabrics Club
- Fuchsia Floral Water-Resistant Acetate from Britex
- Moss Cotton Moleskin from Stonemountain & Daughter
- Dusty Blue Water-Resistant Cotton from Britex
- Leopard Water-Resistant Polyester from Britex
- Steel Blue Jacketing from Fashion Fabrics Club
- Black Outerwear Nylon from Mood
- Pearl Grey Rainwear Polyester from Fashion Fabrics Club
- Purple Floral Outerwear Polyester from Mood
The Seymour Jacket is lined, and you can go a lot of ways with this! Something like a rayon bemberg or polyester satin lining would work great. A lightweight cotton voile could be great if you’d like something casual and breathable. Or, if you’re going for a sportier look, try to find athletic mesh/netting (the non-stretch kind used for sports jerseys).
Next up we’ll look at fabrics for the Fraser Sweatshirt!